Do you know that feeling, where you are so exhausted, but yet somehow unable to fall asleep & the only thing still functioning is your thoughts? Last night, that was my experience, and my thoughts began to run rampant. I soon realized that I
was upset and bothered by a situation beyond my control… right on the heels of
turning another situation that was out of my control over to God and knowing
such sweet peace.
Why is it, that after victory, our inclination is to turn
our focus to another worry or another perceived injustice in our lives? What
happened to the praise that was on our lips such a short time ago?
Luke tells us of when Jesus healed ten lepers. All ten were
desperate for a cure when they saw Jesus at a distance, calling out “Jesus,
Master, have mercy on us.” Jesus, had compassion on them and after being
cleansed, only ONE MAN returned to Jesus!! It says “One of them, when he saw
that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice; and he fell on
his face at Jesus’ feet, giving Him thanks.” Luke 17:15,16 ESV
I've always wondered in my heart how the other nine could be so
ungrateful after such a life-altering cure. Last night, I realized the state of
my own heart. I wrestled with worry & what-ifs last week, driving myself
crazy knowing that I should stop the thinking that wasn't helping anything.
After praying as well as asking others to pray, I finally knew the peace from God that I
was so desperate for. Gratitude filled my heart…for a day, and then I found
something else to work myself up over & gone was my thankfulness & in
its place was this dark stain of ungratefulness.
I wonder if life just consumed the other nine men? They no
doubt were so excited to go see their friends & families after being
separated from them due to the leprosy, but imagine… had they gone back to
Jesus, they could have taken something so much greater than themselves to share
with their family. The man who returned to Jesus heard words that he would
never forget, “Rise, and go your way; your faith has made you well.” Luke 17:19 ESV The
footnotes add the translation of “your faith has saved you” What a
life-transforming moment for that man.
In my ungratefulness, I too am sharing only my sinful self
with my family. The time spent in praise & thankfulness to our King is time
well spent & time that we can share the benefits of with the ones around
us.
Indeed, as I reflect, I am so thankful that the song coming
to my thoughts is “It is Well with My Soul”. Praise God, because of Him, it IS
well with my soul.
"It is Well with My Soul"
- When
peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul. - Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul. - Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul. - My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! - For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul. - But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul! - And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
Horatio G.
Spafford, 1873
<3 this Abigail! Speaks right to my heart and soul right now...
ReplyDeletexoxo
Delete