Thursday, February 28, 2013

When the Tantrums Hit

The eyebrows smash together as her eyes begin throwing sparks. Next comes the shrieking and if she is looking for extra impact, she throws her head back as she begins stamping her feet. Somehow she knows that the best tantrums also include throwing yourself on the floor,kicking arms and feet, and much to my horror, she seems to think that she gets bonus points if she crashes her little body into things.

Parents are warned about the "Terrible Twos," but as a new mother, will I survive my daughter at 15 months?

In my mind, I go through the list.... She's been eating all morning, some toast is laying discarded near her... she can't still be hungry. She slept well last night. She has a clean diaper. Her clothes don't look like they are an issue. I'm paying attention to her (or was until now when I am not sure what to do!). She has lots of toy options. I gave her teething oil a little bit ago in case those molars are bugging her again today. She has her favorite snuggly blanket nearby. We are in normal surroundings and we were having a calm, peaceful morning.

It's super easy to be second-guessing what could be causing this behavior, but bottom line is my job is to teach her how to handle anger in healthy ways and I am at a loss!

How do you parent with grace through the long, tantrum speckled toddler days? What has worked for you in dealing with tantrums?

No comments:

Post a Comment