Thursday, May 10, 2012

Naps are Necessary

How do you explain to an adorable, giggling, 5 month old, that the naps she views as optional, really are not? I lost count on how many times that I've told her "even 20 minutes would help." She eventually gives up the fight with her eyelids and sleeps... for 15 minutes... okay, 18.
I haven't seen the bottom of the sink for 2 days. I haven't had time to procrastinate on wiping out the fridge where the milk dripped.
Jason was greeted home from work with a "shhhhh....she is sleeping" whispered through the screen door. We had maybe 3 minutes before she woke up anyway.
Dear Kimberly. Mommy & Daddy love you very much. We are sooo unprepared for this stage of parenting. Please be patient through the coming years while we struggle to figure this season out!
It is clear that her self-will is coming out, I hear it in the way her cry has changed (setting aside the times when she is crying from being over-tired of course!), but when/how/why do you discipline your children? Scratched the why... we see the "whys" enough. How much does she comprehend at this age? How is it possible that I'm getting the feeling my daughter is practicing to take my "Champion Tantrum Thrower" title away? At 5 months?
Crashed, facing the wrong way, in our bed.

Nap Attack, full throttle!
So folks, please help some new parents out... Some advice for these next months of parenting?

Isn't she just the sweetest sleeping baby!? :) Oh we sure do love having her in our lives!

12 comments:

  1. oh - this takes me back - just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popped over from Better Writer and so glad to meet you! And yes, this post brought back floods of memories of when mine were young - loved it!

    Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet! It seems like yesterday that mine were that little! Popping in from Better writer!Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It is amazing how quickly time goes with little ones!

      Delete
  4. Love this! It brought back so many memories of nap time.And, concurs with some I'm making right now. I keep my 5-month old grandson when mom works, she's a nurse and I'm a nurse so I understand the work thing and how hard it is. Daddy is musician and usually is daddy daycare, but is off on tour, so i'm nana daycare.
    Take heart- some babies sleep, some don't, some sleep well,some don't. Just remember this is a season and something else will take the place of wanting her to nap! One of mine took a 15 minute nap a day as a baby; his younger brother slept well; and when he became a walkie-talkie he would say- need a nap mom and we would go off to bed and he would sleep for hours. They are all different! Happy parenting! and- no worries, it'll all come out in the wash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how special that you are making more memories of nap time with your grandbaby! It does seem like everything makes its way through the wash too! Figuratively and physically! :)

      Delete
  5. AW! Such a cutie pie! Mine are so big now...13,14,17,20. It seems like so long ago we were doing naps for FOUR at one time...ok the 7 year old didn't really nap, but she had a nice quiet time in her room after lunch :0). I have 60 minutes of glorious QUIET---well most days! Truth is they really ARE all so different. My kids tended to be those that slept a bit more. All slept through the night before 6 months old. Something to think about: where does the baby nap? If they are in the same room with activity, then little noises could startle them awake. One thing we were willing to do is let them cry for a bit before going to them. Of course for each family there is a different time they fell comfortable with! For me it was 10 minutes at a time...I even set timers when I had TWO babies very close in age! Crying is a wee babes only way to communicate really. So not all cries need tending to immediately. If they are awakened during nap time, a few minutes may be all they need to put themselves back to sleep :0). Oh well, there's my bit of advice :0). I rarely make suggestion re child raising as it can be a tender subject :0). So if this offends PLEASE fell free to delete! Enjoy your little girl...they grow up so fast! Mine just turned 20 0_o!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo true that advice is a touchy one! But I did ask for it and I am not going to follow anything that we don't feel is best for our family. :) Love the idea of timing the tears, last night I did give her a few minutes of the "irritated" cry after making sure that she was fine and within probably about 20 minutes of on and off again crying she fell asleep peacefully and slept most of the night. Really like the idea of quiet time too, she is enjoying some right now, talking to her imaginary friend! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Naps are SO necessary!! I still make my girls, 3 and almost 5, do 30-40 minutes of quiet time in their rooms every day so I can take a short nap!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of quiet time. Do your daughters like it or do they try to avoid it?

      Delete