Sunday’s message was thought provoking, even as I sat in the
nursery with a restless little girl who wanted to play with her restless
friend, and especially this week as it’s continued to be on my mind. Care to
join me as I sort through this?
Psalms 73:26 “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the
strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (NIV)
What is our response to discouragement? Do we pull away from others & stew in our
own pot of discouragement or do we follow our Savior’s lead when He surrounded
Himself with His trusted friends, opened His soul to them, asked them for help,
poured out His heart in prayer, and rested in the sovereign wisdom of God. (Matthew
26:36-39) Who do we reach out to when we have become so burdened by the
experiences we are going through and need someone to remind us of God’s
promises and His faithfulness?
I’m thankful I heard this sermon now, while I am not
discouraged, because I’m spending more time meditating on it and considering my
usual reaction. Usually I do withdraw from people and cover up my
struggles… wouldn’t want people to think less of me as a person, right? As a result, I usually skip the first 3 steps
that were brought out, leaving me with pouring out my heart to God. Now I’m beginning to see that without opening
myself up and sharing my discouragement/vulnerability, perhaps I am not fully
recognizing my desperate need of the Father, causing a part of me to continue
thinking that “I can handle this… just a little bit longer… if I just work
harder to overcome this…” but that is missing the opportunity to rest in God’s
Sovereign wisdom, plan, and workings.
On the other side of things… how do I respond when a friend
comes to me to share their discouragement? Am I the friend that brushes it off
saying something trite as “it will get better soon” or am I such that a friend
can know that their discouragement will be taken before the Lord in prayer?
Psalm
73:21-26 (NIV)
21 When my heart was grievedand my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
Wonderful post! I really believe that it's in the telling. I know I am so quick to rely on myself, but we were never meant to do this alone. Sharing with someone else allows for giving and receiving Grace!
ReplyDeleteBlessings on your day!
Thank you Katharine!
DeleteWonderful post, Abigail! Thanks so much for sharing your heart!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Jackie
Thank you Jackie!
Deleteyou picked the perfect scripture for this subject! we are 'brute beasts" before the Lord when we are discouraged. we keep wanting Him to shout out to us and tell us what we need, but we keep on as bulls in a china shop expecting to hear that quiet voice that is continually speaking to us. (using the royal 'we' there-ha) The most important thing I can do as a friend is to truly be there when they need to be "held" and to point them back to the One Who Holds me by his right hand.
ReplyDeleteIt was the scripture that was read with the message and you are right, sooo applicable to the subject! Yes, definitely the bull in the china shop (bull headed too) when discouraged. :) Thank you for visiting Nancy!
Delete